Saturday, September 15, 2007

It was a dark and stormy night...

...while I moved into the condo. I officially have a home in Bangalore. I was able to move into my oddly-decorated three-bedroom home this evening. It's been raining most of the evening, providing some nice soothing white noise while I unpacked. Liz is in Chennai for a few days, so I'll be alone for a bit. Currently, the place lacks one critical feature: INTERNET. Our internet connection is supposed to be up within five days, according to our landlady, Sofia. She seems quite nice, though it was odd to be asked if I was a Christian (I answered yes for simplicity). I'll be working from the nearest internet facility, and let's hope that's close. Other than a few mosquitoes, it's ok here.

First Day in the Condo
I woke up and shuffled around, opened the drapes, and generally tried living in the place. I also discovered my right eyelid now has a sty. It seems to be subsiding, but let this incident be a reminder that you should not touch your face without washing your hands here. I'm hoping the swelling really is just a sty and not pink-eye or a fever blister, which I have had on this eye.

I'll post some pictures of the apartment, and I may even try to capture a recording of our doorbell, which plays a little song, and then a garbled lady's voice demands "Please open the door!" Raj, our rental agent, offered to change it for me, but I want Liz to hear it. Other sounds are the distant honks and moto engines on Bannerghatta Road, people sweeping in other apartment towers adjacent to mine, and the occasional wind chime.

Housekeeping
I started making the list of items we lack. Our fully furnished condo has no cooking implements, so despite having a pound of lovely, fresh Assamese tea, I can't boil any water. The water purifier in the kitchen seems like it ought to be serviced, and I need to stock up on cleaning supplies and washcloths (I haven't seen a single washcloth in India, ooher than the one I brought).

I succeeded in sending out the laundry. It should come back in three days. I have no idea how much it costs, the quality of work they do, or really anything other than I need to be here to open the door on September 17th when the doorbell lady tells me to.

We have a servant that will come for an hour on Sundays to clean. I don't really know what that entails (probably floors and shower scrubbing), but I have to be here to let her in. I plan to do a once-over on the house after acquiring cleaning supplies. My brain stem demands that I claim the nest as my own, I guess. Plus, a bunch of messy (according to our landlady) guys lived here before, and the apartment has some evidence that it has either not been completely cleaned or has been occupied for unknown purposes while it was being shown.

Of a (Slightly) Weaker Breed
Generally, I am fine. I seem to have picked up a sore throat and maybe a mild fever, plus a some fatigue. Tough to say if that's adjustment or illness, though I suspect the latter. The food is fine for my stomach et al, though I often eat one cop-out meal a day from my stash of imported energy bars. Meals are all made from scratch and the Indian culture does not put the same premium on hurrying that we do, so if i haven't eaten by 7 or 8, I dine upon a Balance Bar.

Mostly, I'm anxious to settle into a routine so that I can get more work done at GK.

Oh--and I yesterday saw a monkey and three of the FATTEST retrievers I have ever seen (not together, but that would have been AWESOME), and I think we can agree that I know from fatty goldens.