Friday, September 21, 2007

Am I Sick or Just in India?

Every few days, I get a sore throat. I don't know if it's from the smog during my morning commute or if I am cycling through a host of Indian cooties to get to baseline immune level. Of course, I also can't tell if I am feverish or something else. I spend a lot of time in India with low blood sugar, since I'm trying to suss out when it's polite to ask for food, when I can snack, and when restaurants are open. I end up feeling mildly ill from hunger.

Lunch tends to be late--around 1-ish, though if I am at GK, lunch is brought (it's 3 and no sign that I see, save a belch that just echoed across the office), and I eat whenever I am offered food. I have not yet figured out what the cue is to go in and eat, and the IT staff--all male--seems a bit shy. So, I try to not make them uncomfortable by following them around. [I finally gave in and ate a PowerBar.]

I would go home, but I am supposed to have a meeting after lunch. I was also supposed to have a meeting this morning, but one of the people turned out to be unavailable (I have been warned that the meeting-no-not-really events would occur frequently in India). So, in addition to being hungry, I really want lunch to happen so that I can get the meeting done and head home, as the internet technician is supposed arrive at 5 PM. Oh, please, please let the internet arrive...

[I'm going to assume that I won't have internet tonight. It's easier to set my expectations in this manner.]

In Summary: I'm a Big Sissy
The other ills: bumpy auto rides, odd mattresses, really hard floors, lack of exercise, and non-ergonomic work habits are contributing to backaches, knee pain, the Return of the Swollen Achilles, a sore butt and general joint maladies. I seem to get a few bug bites each day (the critter type seems to vary, or maybe it's a rash?). However, let's keep in mind that I had lousy joints and easily irritated skin in the United States.

On the positive, I'm not having much trouble sleeping, and sleep is probably the most important thing for me.