Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Aye, the internet: she be a fickle beast

(Interestingly, I came up with that *before* I was reminded that it's ITLAPD)

Still no access at home. I've found a few slow places near the house, but the connections tend to drop or be intermittent. I made it out to Grameen Koota today (after confusing my poor auto-rickshaw driver GK is pretty far south). Once I got to GK I had no power. Once I got power--no internet.

I finally got online for a while, and then--blackout (something about the rain). So, here I sit, typing in Notepad, waiting for internet.

Now, I'm sure many of you would point out that I lived sans-web for more than half my life. Plenty of people have traveled the world, moved to new cities, and done many, many things without Skype or IM or Google Maps. However, none of those people were expected to be online all the time. Also, a lot of my work is online (yes, that *does* bring up some interesting issues WRT to how things are done).

On the positive side, all the offices in India bring you tea or coffee all the time. I don't think it's just because I'm a guest. At 11-ish and sometimes snackthirty, somebody comes around and brings you a hot bev and sometime cookies (that part is definitely a guest thing). Of course, you then have no excuse to leave the office, but who cares? Someone is bringing you stuff! Also, I get free lunch every day, and everybody eats together (well, except today, where I ate after everyone because I was in meetings).

I'm trying to figure out what people do during a blackout. The vibe seems the same as a network outage at home. You *try* to work, but ultimately--what can you do? Some people have meetings, some people ave analog work, and some people just kick back.