Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Are old people allowed to cut in line in India?

At the grocery store, I was waiting in line to pay. The produce lady set down a basket of good belonging to an old man. My place was disregarded. I thought maybe she thought the basket was too heavy for him to lift off the floor.

I hopped lines over to the other checker, as the girl running the previous line seemed uncertain, at best. A different old man simply stepped in front of me in line. I guess I'm supposed to give old people deference not only for public seating, but they get to queue-jump, as well. I don't really mind either way, but I would like to know protocol. Anyone?



Binary India

So, if I were to have to come up with a sorting method for the nation of India, I think I might have to go fat/thin. Rich and middle class people are are fat. Fat like "Am I at WalMart in Garland?" fat (that's a Texas reference). And, I'm at risk, too, being both rich and enjoying Indian food.

Food is definitely the social lubricant (if you drink, it's before you eat, btw, so you end up starving and hammered by like 10 PM). So, there's item one that I notice: people are REALLY into food.

Diabetes is a big problem in India. I don't actually know if it's genetic or fat-induced, but you see glucose bread, etc, in the stores and lots of adverts for test kits, etc in the stores.

The other thing you see in the stores: SWEETS. The 8-aisle markets usually have a snack aisle and a sweet aisle. The streets have a sweet shop every other block. And the sweets are FRICKIN' DELICIOUS and have tons of variety. I try to stay away, as I already have moon pies, sesame treats, and a couple kinds of hot chips. Hot chips are freshly made Indian junk food like banana chips or spicy potato chips or crunchy fried peas etc etc etc.