Sunday, September 23, 2007

The New AutoRickshaw Lesson: Out of Gas

[This entry is something probably 8 million ex-pats have written about, but oh well...]

If the auto driver realizes belatedly (probably because I only speak English) that I need to go further out than he really wants to drive, he "runs out of gas." It happened twice this week. Saturday, I got out and walked after this happened, checking in on auto prices along the way to see what they would go for. Most of them wanted to charge more than double the metered fare (so .60 cents instead of .30 cents). I kept walking, since I had plenty of time and need exercise badly. Also, it was interesting to find that the distance decreased, but the amounts stayed the same (30 Rs). The walk was nice, though, and I got a better look at the neighborhood close to the office, so I may start having them let me out sooner anyway. Also, I'm gathering information about the buses, though timetables are uncertain.

I've been advised by locals to only pay the meter price, but I'm used to paying double at night. The argument--which I also get during the day, wherever I am going--is "I won't be able to get a fare from there to take me back here." I know in some cases it's true, but in others it's rubbish, and if I ask a few different drivers, I'll get one who will use the meter only. A driver and car are expensive (800? Rs/day), so I better learn how to best manage.

Change Is Difficult
The other item to remember when taking autos is that they rarely have change, and bills less than 100 Rs are hard to come by. Rounding is pretty common for auto fares, though I get stuck paying 10-40 Rs extra if I don't have change. again--it's "only a dollar" or "only a quarter" but when it starts happening a few times a day (shop clerks often don't have change, either), it adds up quickly. Saturday, I stopped and bought a Pepsi to make sure I had change for the ride home. A coke is usually ~20 Rs

At some point, I'll find a driver i like, keep his cell nearby, and call the same person to drive me out to work when I need to go. Also, I'll probably only go out to GK a few days a week, so it's not that big of a deal. In general, it's just something I shrug off as part of my day and what I expected.