Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Wait--It's not like that at all

I reviewed my entries, and it seems I paint a more negative picture of Bangalore than I intended. I try to focus on things that differ from the US, and a lot of times it's some saga about how something I don't even think about at home takes four extra people and six repetitions (Internet, DHL delivery, auto drivers).
India has plenty of interesting things that are non-logistical.

The Garden City
Bangalore has loads of parks. So, even though the streets are crammed with traffic, a small (or huge, in the case of Cubbon Park and Lal Bagh Gardens) meticulously maintained park will be within a few blocks. Also, the landscaping here is all giant versions of US houseplants, huge, beautiful old trees, and lots of flowering trees. The jasmine smells nice at night.

Family Friendly
Evening are nice around the condo because the families come out. The kids get home from school around 3-4 PM. From that point on, the complex sounds like a playground (because it is one). Neighbors come out to chat, retirees walk the path around the compound--it's all very neighborhoodsy. Monday night I worked out near the main courtyard (turns out the Club House *doesn't* open at 6) and got to watch people while I jumped rope. Several little kids came over to watch the nutty foreign lady doing push-ups and lunges, but they got a bit shy when I said hello.
My workout got relocated when the groundskeeper came out and sprayed big clouds of pesticides everywhere. No mosquitoes in my lungs--guaranteed. Later in the evening, people gather in the clubhouse to play ping-pong, badminton (known here as shuttlecock), snooker, and other games.


Please--Do Not Trouble Yourself
People here are gracious and welcoming. They will invite you into their homes, answer questions on the street, and if you ask them about a topic, odds are the person will offer to get or do whatever you need. I hesitate to ask people for things because I don't want to trouble them, and--selfishly--I know that it's usually going to be an ordeal in terms of coordination and communication. The only phrase I can find that works is "Please--do not trouble yourself," which works sometimes.

We met one of our neighbors from our floor in the elevator. She immediately invited us in, told us about her job, invited us to dinner at their place (she has three roommates), and gave us advice on autos. We haven't met the other roommates, but all four girls work for the same big consulting firm I worked at out of college.

For Indians coming to the United States--especially Seattle--we must seem terribly cold, paranoid, and impatient. I admit that I prefer my culture because I can do more things alone than with others, but it's nice to see people be friendly. I am better at helping than being helped (and I mean that in a practical way, not in the I'm-so-great-and-have-such-a-big-heart way), but I'll probably never come close to Indian hospitality.