Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas from Bangalore!

Yes, Virginia, Santa Claus is in India, as are Christmas trees, ornaments, and Christmas carols. To be fair, the Christmas carol ringtones and reverse tones (when cars back up, they sometimes play music) happen year-round, but I've noticed an upsurge.

Many of the shops--be they owned by Hindus, Muslims, or Christians--have been decorated, and I have gotten Christmas texts and emails from people at both deployments. It's not quite the same as being at home, but I love that India celebrates almost ANY holiday. The Hanuka showing was a bit weak, but 6000 out of 1.1 billion is tough to play out, though I did have a belated celebration involving latkes on Eid, so that should count for something.

I'll probably work from home tomorrow, and I hear rumors of traditional Jewish Christmas paella being prepared.