Thursday, December 20, 2007

I Am Legend

So, now that my silly 16-hour days are over, all the NRI's, NIR's, and I's I know have gone to the US, Turkey, Goa, or other locales. I couldn't pull a last minute trip together for this week ("Sorry, madam. No flights anywhere for South East Asia"). However, I am the Queen of Opportunistic Travel, so I managed to tag along on a wedding trip to China in January instead of traveling this week. Cross your fingers that my visa goes through.

Lesson Learned: Say TOURIST

I tried to go to Hampi yesterday, since I had to cancel the trip last weekend because of work. Unfortunately, I put my Bangalore address on the ticket application. Then, when asked what kind of visa I had, I said business and pulled out my passport (idiot move). As it turns out, the Indian railways only reserve seats for foreigners who are tourists or students. Those of us with B on ours visas have to sit on the waiting list with the Indians or book tickets months in advance.

"But I'm a foreigner."
"It must be tourist visa."
"But what about this part here--that says tourist visa."
"NO. It says here 'B' for 'Business.' Tourist says T; Student says S. Yours says 'B.'"
"But I'm a foreigner?"
"No."
"But it says tourist visa?"
"No."

I was 53 on the waiting list. I did not get the overnight train. I probably will have to go back and lie to get a seat, as the trains are booked out for months (to quote a friend "You're screwed. You're never getting to Hampi by train.") Alternately, I'll just take an overnight bus or hire a driver instead.