Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's Schedule H for "Healthy"

I got more and more fatigued through the week, in part because I was working too much and not sleeping enough. The other problem was I hadn't yet shaken whatever I picked up the week prior (which I believed had cleared out). Any time I ate, my stomach hurt, and I couldn't finish my food. If I didn't eat, my stomach also hurt. It was getting more difficult to rally, to the point where I had to lie down all the time just because I felt tired and full. I couldn't even finish sushi Friday night.

I always wanted to be a doctor...

Before work on Saturday, I researched my symptoms online(result: likely a parasite, probably Giardia or some other protist), found the names of the drugs (Tinidazole or Metroindazole), and cross-referenced the information on several sites (CDC, etc.) to make sure the drugs were commonly used (they are) and not overly toxic (OK, but alcohol will cause projectile vomiting). I felt comfortable to skip the long trip to the doctor (generally with my symptoms, they treat you before they test, and I didn't have enough oomph to get myself across town). After dragging my lethargic self to GK and working a few hours, I stopped at a pharmacy on the way home, gave them the drug names, and for about 55 cents US had myself a cure.

The blister pack clearly says some rubbish about "Schedule H substance: Only issue with script from licensed physician," but since I had taken the trouble to write the names in my notebook to show the nice young men at the pharmacy, that's the same as several years of advanced study, right?

I spent a while at home rereading the dosage recommendations and looking up the warnings and advisories. In India, when you get a prescription, you get the blister pack and nothing else--no box, no instructions, no "take with food," and no dosage. Fortunately, all that information is available on the internet from the drugs companies and several doctorsl resource sites. I also skimmed the paper on the most effective treatment methods. Take aways: One-time, 2 gram dose, taken with food. Drink plenty of water and no alcohol. I emailed Sean that I was taking drugs, just in case I ended up having an allergic reaction or something, but the warnings, side-effects and advisories were along the same lines as other anti-cootie meds I have taken (tough on the GI tract, might cause hives, possible tingling or numbness in the extremities). Also, it's one of the drugs travel docs prescribe to bring as a just-in-case-something-nests-in-your-gut item.

Back in Business

It's tough to say if the medicine made me more tired or if I took it just in time. I spent most of my weekend lying in bed or on the couch working. However, Sunday I was able to consume food and not feel like my bloated belly was going to go all Ridley Scott. The only side effect seems to have been a metallic taste in my mouth all day (which persists today).

I can't imagine what it's like to get parasites all the time and not be able to get the drugs to fix them. Some things you can build up an immunity to, but for the most part, the taps here have critters in them that people who don't have fancy water filters like I do are going to get at least a few times a year, and most of them can't afford to go to the doctor and can't afford not to work. One of the things you see on some MFI loan applications is "water source" (mainly for data gathering purposes), and water education practices are critical in a lot of areas, along with oral re-hydration therapy techniques (boil water, mix in some sugar and salt--presto! You have Gatorade for a sick baby).

Now, back to work wit renewed vigor and fewer internal companions...