Saturday, December 22, 2007

If You Like "Can't Coach Fat, You'll LOVE..."

You may be surprised to learn that the internet has many, many blogs. In fact, my original idea was to not write any individual posts, but instead just reference another foreigner-in-India blog. My experiences are not actually that unique--just google "ex-pat blog India" to see the same stories told by different people.

Snakes on a Bike

I only read a couple blogs, on of which is Ride South by my insane friend Dave who is cycling to Tierra del Fuego. He has a fantastic Q&A with some elementary school kids. For the record, I have only seen one snake in India at the park. It was in the water, and I don't know if it was poisonous.

Punkassblog is the other blog I read from time to time. It's maintained by a friend of mine from college, but it has multiple contributors covering feminism, politics, and sometimes material sciences. Kyso, whom I've never met, would probably get a marriage proposal from me, were it not for the fact that she's a lady.


Now if only Bangalore had web access at coffee shops...

The internet is pretty much third after air and water in terms of importance for me. About 70% of my work is done online for or using Mifos.org, Skype or IM, our internal wiki pages, and email. The internets keep me somewhat connected to home, since I can read The New York Times or Seattle papers online. Interesting fact I learned this morning: you can pay to get an article put in an Indian newspaper (and frequently must pay).

I have a few people at home who check in on me and send me pictures of animals in ridiculous outfits. I'm able to talk on Skype (you can even call me at a Seattle number and it'll ring through to Skype and my cell phone), and a few people check up on me daily on IM (and send me drunken SMS's from time to time). If I could get some of Pete's Carmelitas (a.k.a. BEST FREAKING COOKIES EVER and undoubtedly how I will restore my missing pounds), it'd be just like home.