Sunday, April 27, 2008

NYT fails us

Though my typing is lousy, I do appreciate when people take time to spell-check and edit text before anyone reads it, especially if you're a major global media source. I'm disappointed to see the NYT failed to catch the misuse of the word "nonplused" in this article.

Up in Waterloo, where the towering winter snowpacks finally melted this month, R.I.M. executives appear nonplused. Though they would not reveal details, R.I.M. itself is expected to unveil a new 3G phone sometime in May and deliver it to wireless carriers throughout the year.



Nonplused means confused, utterly puzzled. What the author probably meant was "unfazed," unless I'm misreading the tone of the article. The word gets misused pretty frequently, but since they're, you know, The New York Times and all, I figure they should catch that sort of thing.

I sent in feedback email to the main desk and to the author, Brad Stone. He's been writing on technology for a number of years, including a mention of an Atlas client, so let hope I didn't piss him off by emailing him the definition.