Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My vacation may have been too good

I seem to be lacking my normal persistence (read: anger) on the soccer field. I still feel pretty calm about everything, and I think I might run harder when I'm mad. Then again, I'm probably a lot dumber, so it's a draw.

In terms of progress, I've been back in Seattle two weeks and played six games. Since I only have one official team, I just accept any invite to sub. I gauge speed by whom I can outrun, in the following order:

5) Nobody (current status)
4) Overweight women in knee braces
3) Overweight men in knee braces
2) In-shape women
1) Men
0) (on a good day) Slowing down the really fast guys

I'm not really supposed to be fast--which is good because no one in my family is really built for land speed--but I did a credible job of getting in the way of the opposing team. I'm actually sort of surprised that I am not worse after so long being gone. In fact, one of my teammates said I was better than he remembered me being.

If I can just force my legs to go faster--I'm convinced that speed is a function of will--I'll be more useful on the field. I'm told not kicking the ball to the opposition will help, too.