Thursday, April 3, 2008

FAQ II: Back in Se-attle, again...

Now that I am home, I'd better repeat the exercise of the first FAQ and the iFAQ. Feel free to ask more questions.

When did you get back?
How was the flight?
Feel good to be home?
Are you back for good?
Is your dad glad to have you back?
Did the cats recognize you?
How are the fish?
Have you recovered from jet lag?
How much do you weigh?
Are you working for Grameen Technology Center?
Do you have a job?
What have you been DOING?
What foods have you been getting that you missed?
How about Indian food tonight [snicker]?
Are you playing soccer?
What about those rugs?
Will you keep up the blog?


When did you get back?
Since Monday evening, March 24th. Mrs. Nelson and Mama (a.k.a. Amy-Also) fetched me from the airport.


How was the flight?
Fine. I flew from Kathmandu to Bangalore on Saturday, spent Sunday in BLR, and flew BLR-Heathrow-SEA on Monday. I read Lolita, slept, and watched movies. I sat next to some nice, very tall UW students who had been teaching and coaching in South Africa.


Feel good to be home?
Yes. I'm still finding wee ninjas that were hidden around my house, which was thoughtfully decorated in "God Bless America" style, plus at least nine teeny ninjas, gnomes, teeny horses, and a plate of Peter's Snickerdoodles.


Are you back for good?
I am, both in the sense that I will not go back to work in Bangalore, as well as opposing evil.



Is your dad glad to have you home?

You really can't tell with Dad, what with the furrowed eyebrows and somewhat stern demeanor. Chocolate chip cookies were in place, as expected. He's made these new butterscotch things that may have crack in them, near as I can tell.



Did the cats recognize you?

I don't know. They seemed uninterested in me when I arrived. Apparently they used to freak out when they heard my voice over Skype, but you wouldn't know it from my homecoming.


How are the fish?
The remaining fish seem fine. It was a hard winter, but a lot of my fish had been around for several years, so it may have just been their time. I am looking to get rid of a few aquaria, if you are interested.


Have you recovered from jet lag?
I get very sleepy midday, but I sleep through the night. I wish I could sleep less, though. I have too many nights that end up being >9 hours.


Are you working for Grameen Technology Center?
No, but I may volunteer or work on small projects, if AW needs me.


Do you have a job?
Yes, Atlas Accelerator welcomed me back with open arms. I have one project already, and I'm also working on internal projects. I'll probably have at least one more client soon, so if you want to hire me, call soon!


What are you DOING?
I spent the first week spending time with friends in a jet-lagged haze. If you saw me in the first two days, I was probably kind of stupid and might have tripped over something.

I've been meeting some Atlas clients and our new-since-I-left team. It involves a lot of food, so you know I'm into it. So far, I like all my new(-er) coworkers.

I also have a lot of logistical items like making the car start (needed a new battery), opening mail (thoughtfully and compulsively organized by Dad), starting taxes (hairy this year), cleaning up the fish tanks, and distributing India presents.


What foods have you been getting that you missed?
I ate a fair amount of Western food in Kathmandu (mainly bread!), so I was pretty well satisfied. I still need to go have some pho and a Ragin Cajun sandwich from The Other Coast Cafe in Ballard.

I had to ask Dad to stop baking for a bit while I get my eating habits back under control. I ate 3/4 of a batch of snickerdoodles and half a batch of chocolate chip in 2 days.


How about Indian food tonight [snicker]?
I never got tired of the food in India (except for mediocre Italian-like food) because if I was tired of South Indian, I ate North Indian, or Keralan, or Bengali...

Unfortunately, Seattle only has a few places I know of that serve South Indian, so Uncle Tarang and Auntie Chaithra had best dust off their sambar recipes.


Have you lost weight?
I have recovered most of the weight that I lost, so I'm only a little thinner than when I left. In fact, if anyone wants my dress I wore to the wedding in China, let me know.

I may have returned with another gastrointestinal companion, so stay tuned!


Are you playing soccer?
I've played three game so far. I'm playing the whole game and breathing as well as expected after 6-7 months in Asian cities (that's pollution you hear me coughing up), but I am s__l__o__w. I hope to be back up to my normal faster-than-she-looks-but-slower-than-most speed within a month.


What about those rugs?
OK--nobody asks about the rugs, but they are beautiful and I love showing them off.



Are you going to keep up the blog?

Well, I hadn't planned on it, but I suppose it is a useful thing, in that I don't have to repeat myself. Oh--wait. I ALWAYS repeat things. Well, we'll see what I end up doing. If nothing else, I'll blog about my clients.