Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Language Updation

A mere two months in India, and my vocabulary is already changing. I swear much less, mainly. My name is now pronounced something more like "Eh-mee." I participate in things at "timings" of the day.

A friend has gotten me into the habit of calling my auto drivers, security guards, and any male service person "Boss" (pronounced more like "bose", with a long o and an s) As in: "Hai,Boss--where's Lavelle Road?" Note that you pronounce the name of the street "Lavelly," and, no, not like the Japanese "hai." Also, if I am talking to an auto driver, "road" gets half an "l," like "rload." To give turning directions, I'll say "rligh-teh," "lef-teh," and "strai-teh."

At work: updation and upgradation. These words are perfectly acceptable in Indian English, but they still make me flinch.

I now "take" meals ("Madame, you will take breakfast?"). If I eat a lunch, I order South Indian meals, though I'm only getting one. I also tell waiters that "filter water" is okay for me to drink. Instead of bell pepper, I eat capsicum, and I generally have curd (yoghurt) with every meal.

We don't know why, but adding "only" to the end of a sentence seems to make ideas more clear, like "I am here only." I'm experimenting with adding adverbs to the end of sentences in general.

I use the Indian head bob (just Google it--a million ex-pats whine about it) to indicate yes and maybe. I have no idea if I use it correctly, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I can get away with anything by saying "No problem!" and giving a huge smile. I'm pretty sure it only works because I am wealthy/female/foreign.